What have we done with the water?
Once again I am here to address the extremely serious water shortage problem that continues to demand our closest attention, followed by proper actions.
In a series of talks I gave at the beginning of the 1990s about the Apocalypse of Jesus in order to make it more accessible to the simple-hearted, as an example I brought to the debate the issue of a possible war for water in several regions of our planet, a subject that already at that time was being aired in the media.
Sadly and worryingly we are experiencing today the tragic specter of the lack of water, even in Brazilian cities.
In addition to climate factors, which we have been strongly influencing in a condemnable way since the Industrial Revolution, what have we been doing with this precious liquid, the basic factor of life?
It is easy to identify criminal acts of waste in the world. I insist on passing to children, young people, and adults this teaching: today’s crumbs are tomorrow’s feast. By extension, today’s drop of water is tomorrow’s abundant spring; and in our times, right now. Let us help avoid the worse.
In my book Apocalipse sem medo [Apocalypse without Fear] (2000), I stressed that despite the ecological efforts of many good people, human beings still continue to pollute everything, just as in the warning of Prophet Isaiah, 24:5: “The Earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws, violated the statutes and broken the Everlasting Covenant.”
Water has become scarce at various points in the world, but it is still being mistreated. Fresh water corresponds to less than 3% of all the water that exists on the planet. The rest, around 97%, is mainly seawater. So how does this leave things? . . . Conserving water is not just a question of governments taking appropriate measures. It requires decisive care that we as citizens also need to take with it. We need to stop being mere observers and start behaving like active participants. After all, our own existence is at stake. That is right: our own lives! And to correct this demands Justice and Goodwill, which are seen as antidotes to a greed that is so blind that it does not notice that it is digging its own grave.
On 1/16, Agência Brasil published that 2014 was the hottest year since temperature records began in 1880. The information is from the United States National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The North American agency said that "record warmth was spread around the world, including Far East Russia into western Alaska, the western United States, parts of interior South America, most of Europe stretching into northern Africa, parts of eastern and western coastal Australia, much of the northeastern Pacific around the Gulf of Alaska, the central to western equatorial Pacific, large swaths of northwestern and southeastern Atlantic, most of the Norwegian Sea, and parts of the central to southern Indian Ocean."
For each new piece of research presented, Science is convinced that human activity has hastened global warming. The consequences are there for everyone to see. The complexity of the challenges is intensifying, including the complexity that directly affects the economy of nations.
Two thousand years ago Apostle Paul in his Epistle to the Galatians (6:7) gave us a lesson that could be repeated word for word today: “Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.”
Let us take into account this Biblical warning. The Heavenly Father certainly expects us to have common sense and to work hard for the well-being of Humanity. Let us ask Him to protect the earthly providences that are being taken, for rainfall in dry places, and for a more balanced climate for people’s health. And let us not despise the power of collective prayer and vigilance.